SAFER Systems (www.safersystem.com) is a small software company based in Westlake Village, California. Founded in 1981, SAFER Systems provides software and technology solutions for responding to chemical spills to help keep workers and community members safe. Our customers include chemical manufacturers, transporters, governments/municipalities and first responders.
We are looking to hire an entry level or junior software testing engineer to join our development team working out of our Westlake Village, California office. This is an opportunity to learn more about software, technology and the chemical and petrochemical industries.
- Must have a BS degree in a STEM related field of study and some knowledge of chemistry.
- Must be an expert user of computers, internet and technology.
- Must have strong English language abilities for reading, writing and speaking.
- Must be physically present in our Westlake Village, California office during normal daytime work hours.
- Must be able to clearly see computer screens and mobile device screens, and provide inputs using keyboard, mouse and touchscreen.
No previous experience in software testing is required for this position but you must have the aptitude for it and be willing to learn and grow. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you enjoy working with computers and technology?
- Are you good at figuring out how things work?
- Have you done any programming?
- Are you a little bit of a hacker? (I bet I can break this. I bet I can get around this. Find the flaw, find the vulnerability.)
- Are you guided by intuition, inspiration, and alternative thinking (gut feeling) to see beyond the obvious?
- Do you have the attention span sufficient to do careful detailed work and follow complex tasks to completion because minutia matters?
- Are you proud of the quality of work you do?
- Do you enjoy helping others and making the world a better place?
- Are you motivated by being able to make a difference?
- Do you think your personality type is compatible with this position?
Typical duties for this position include the following:
- Become an expert user of our software products, knowing every aspect and feature.
- Perform software testing primarily by manual interaction and review.
- Verify that product updates result in the desired changes in appearance and behavior.
- Detect and document unintended changes.
- Explore, discover and document previously unknown software defects.
- Design your own strategy, methods and testcases for verification and defect detection.
- Be accountable for the quality of the product areas you test.
- Write clear and comprehensive descriptions of product defects and feature behavior.
- Verbally discuss tasks, progress, plans, concerns, suggestions, etc. in team meetings.
- Read instruction manuals.
- Learn new products and technologies.
- Configure and operate various software and hardware tools and technologies in support of software testing work.
If this position sounds like a good match for you, please send us your resume and a letter to introduce yourself. We look forward to hearing from you!